Skip to main content

EGL Archive November - December 2002

November 9, 2002
This month we start with a thread discussing how often people wear lolita. It seems like same as now, the majority keeps it as a special occasion/hobby thing. Not going to lie, at this time, the lingo was ToTalLy LOLz but now in 2019 reading as a full grown adult it's actually really grating on my eyes and nerves.



With how easily accessible brand, or lolita in general has become, how often do you wear lolita? I've been more or less a daily lolita since 2011. And by now, being well dressed on a budget is incredibly simple.

November 12, 2002
cybergothica posts "I want to go to Yoyogi Koen park."


Yeah. Me too, babe.
November 20, 2002
Today we have a post from nymphie, who shares an exert from an email she receives via J-List containing commentary written by gaijin living in Japan.

"The social phenomenon known as "kogals" -- Japanese girls who wear outrageous fashions, with blonde-dyed hair and silly elevator shoes and over-tanned bodies -- was one of the keywords of the late 1990's in Japan. Kogals themselves owe their origins to the fashion-conscious teen movement of the mid 90s called "Amulers," when every high school girl wanted to dress up like JPOP singer Namie Amuro. But nothing is as constant as change, and the concept of the classic kogal slowly morphed into other versions: mago-gal (literally "grandchild-gal"), a label used for junior high school girls who wanted to dress up in ridiculous fashions too; "gals," a softer, less brash version of the original kogals; one-gals (oh-NAY-gals), basically ultra-fashionable girls in their low to mid 20s; and yamanba (literally "mountain hags"), girls who tan themselves totally black then wear bizarre makeup. As the sun set on the old Kogal boom, even the trademark of their movement, the "print club" digital photo stickers, called "puri-kura" in Japanese, has faded: game centers in Tokyo which stocked nothing but the print club machines are hard to find, and you no longer have to wait in line to get use them. Every once in a while you see a remnant of the old kogal phenomenon, the "gal mama" -- girls who got pregnant in their kogal days and are still dressing up in outrageous furs and false eyelashes, even though they're pushing baby carriages now. Seeing two "gals" exchanging child-rearing tips while they put on their thick make-up can be quite a sight, and is a uniquely Japanese experience."

Link to the fruits comm can be found here, though it hasn't been regularly updated since 2011.


December 2, 2002
User lazyangel posts, asking for a survey of which brands are most popular at the time. Here are the brands that are upvoted,or mentioned, the most, vs the least.
1. Union Jack
Sorry I guess I am unable to find a 2002 representation of this brand. It never got really big, so I'm surprised it was mentioned the most, and obviously it hasn't made it to the present year.

2. h.Naoto

3. Baby, the Stars Shine Bright

Black Peace Now

Moi Meme Moitie

Angelic Pretty

4. Putumayo

Vivien Westwood
Though primarily known in the punk and goth scene due to their often wacky aesthetic, they remain popular in the lolita community to this day for their beautiful pearl chokers, corsets, heart shaped hand bags, rocking horse shows and melissa collab pumps.

Victorian Maiden

Metamorphose

Na+H

Alice Auaa
Another brand I had trouble finding stuff for this specific year, though I couldn't pass up the opportunity to present this 2013 bondage baby masterpiece. Fun Fact: Akira has modeled for just about every lolita/jfash brand, EXCEPT Alice Auaa, and says one day she hopes she can model for them as well.

Atelier Pierrot


Unfortunately there was nothing salvageable for December, so that wraps up the year 2002! What do you think about the topics of this month? What were your favorite brands when you started? Are they different from then to what they are now? I'd love to hear everyone's opinions!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Wardrobe Post

Wow! Long time no post! Man I really missed writing plus 2020 was such a nightmare, I am so glad to finally have a spare minute to post on this blog again.  As you know, the January Wardrobe theme has been a tradition spanning the past decade, starting with this post 10 years ago on EGL. By now I have already added my wardrobe videos to my YouTube channel featuring some of my favorite details of each piece. However, since it was done during the first few days of the new year, I still had some late arriving new additions to my wardrobe that didn’t make the video, so this is definitely a more complete documentation of my current wardrobe. Just as in my videos, I will be starting with main pieces, but organized by brand, rather than cut. I may add the last few things I am waiting for in the mail within the next few days. My last 3 packages are scheduled to arrive the first week of February, however I wanted to post this before January was up, and of course, here we are on the very last d

EGL Archive: May 2003

May 1, 2003 Ok, so lets start at the name of this entry first of all. "Kawaii male EGL."  Honestly I had a hard time even deciphering this post, if you haven't noticed, pretty much everyone back from the old school EGL days was an absoluse kawaii UwU weeb nya~!!!11 I hate that I was apart of this, but oh well, here I am documenting our past, the good, the bad, the illegible, and the obnoxious. Anyways, per usual at this point, the link didn't work. I use to be into manga back in the day, though I hadn't heard of this particular manga,  Matantei Loki Ragnarok , before, so I decided to look it up for myself. So after looking through a few images, I can definitely see the historical influences in the character design, especially the male characters, though I wouldn't necessarily call them male EGL or whatever. but, I must remind myself that this was 2003, fashion sources were very limited, and we took what we could get back then. Apparently it's a

4 Coords, 1 Dress

The last meet my comm had before the Covid crisis hit my state full speed was a meet to the local art museum during it’s monthly free day. Unfortunately a few days after that, things began to change for the worse, and meets for the next few months were cancelled. So, as a long time admin of my local community, I suggested that we start having bi-weekly themes: a new, revolving theme to change once every two weeks, to keep up morale and promote community participation to offer a distraction in these trying time.  Our last theme was 1 item, 4 coords. Some members choose to choose items that that had been forgotten at the back of their wardrobes, but I chose one of my go-to pieces, a Moi Meme Moitie piece from 2010, my Cross Gather OP. The first coord I did was something reflecting my regular, go-to styling. Something simple, casual, and comfortable. The main reason I wanted to use this piece for this challenge was because I wanted to force myself out of my comfort zone an