Skip to main content

EGL Archive August - October 2002

Now you may find yourself asking, "Hey! What happened to July?!"

Well, unfortunately it was a slow month, and a total bust. But now we're back with a fairly active month of August!

August 4, 2002
Well, today was an interesting find. On this day in EGL history, user dyfferent posted a single link on a post. A post with zero comments or insight of lolita at the time, or anything. This Article, even through all the changes the EGL community has had, I think was as incredibly misrepresented of the fashion then as it is now. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK! From likening the visual aspects to a french maid to insinuating that lolitas don their frills and frocks to appease the males who fetishize child-like sexuality...90% of the article is a huge fucking nope! BUT, before you start screaming into the void of despair, never fret, because a few years later in 2008 the author of this fucking travesty of literary work came to their senses (or, most likely had been repetitively assaulted by multiple groups of rouge lolitas over the years), and made a Second Article with much more accurate and updated information.
Praise Mana.
They finally got it right.

August 22, 2002
Today marked a wonderful day in lolita history. Meta offered direct mail service to people outside of Japan.
Can you believe there was a time where no brands offered direct mailing over seas? Even now, not everyone does this. And if they do, a lot of brands still only offer over seas shopping via e-mail order! Have you ordered from Innocent World or Enchantic Enchantilly (formerly known simply as Chantilly) lately? They still only offer worldwide shipping via email order form requests. Meta was the first who made a fully functioning website with a cart system, usable for their foreign fans. Were any of you around for when Angelic Pretty also had their own foreign friendly website? And then for some reason they decided to discontinue it in the early 2010s to force people to sign up with Tenso to register a Tenso address to have their stuff shipped to the Tenso warehouse, and then shipped to the USA or wherever from there. With Tenso fees and domestic shipping added to your order, of course.
While Meta has always been a bit questionable, their customer care has always been ahead of the times.

August 24, 2002
Oh hey look! The classic "I'm a broke ass, but even if I wasn't a broke ass, I'm a cheap ass and I'm entitled and I wouldn't spend the money myself anyways wahhhhh I deserve free shit"-type personality! It's nice to see some aspects of the fashion never change!


September 19, 2002
Miscy, a user that I remember posting quite frequently, posted this beautiful Rococo inspired outfit that is a combination of handmade, and altered off brand! Unfortunately, all the other detailed photos have been lost to the void. 




October 3, 2002



Well, wile none of the originally linked photos are still there, I'd like to take this time to add some photos I've found on my own. I remember Ai Yazawa as a lolita/jfashion muse. She hasn't updated Nana since 2009...But she has had several lolita and lolita inspired characters. If not just for her fashion, I feel like Yazawa-sensei has had such a huge following because of the popularity of her wonderfully written characters and stories!
Miwako Sakurada from Paradise Kiss


Mai Tsuzuki/Misato Uehara from Nana

Ai yazawa has always been really fashion forward and super connected and in-depth with all the characters she creates. These are just two of the many fashion icons she's created over the years. I hope she feels some relief from her illness soon and after a decade we can finally find a conclusion to the Nana series.


October 12, 2002
Finally, the first post I've seen that mentions Lolita and Halloween on LJ. It was a nice reminder finding this that not everyone use to have a parasol up their ass, and took the fashion a lot less seriously back in the early days.



It is indeed a heart-warming and nostalgic thread!

Well, unfortunately that's as good as it gets through October. There was a bit of fluff and stuff such as people discussing options for plus sized bodies. Can you believe that at one point a common remedy was suggestions to shop for loliable stuff at Torrid?! Think of how spoiled we are now in 2019 with all our different brand and indie brand options which cater to all the different shapes and sizes that bodies come in!


Hope you enjoyed this week's throwback! I'll have next week wrapping up the year, and I can't wait to see what we have in store!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Wardrobe Post

Wow! Long time no post! Man I really missed writing plus 2020 was such a nightmare, I am so glad to finally have a spare minute to post on this blog again.  As you know, the January Wardrobe theme has been a tradition spanning the past decade, starting with this post 10 years ago on EGL. By now I have already added my wardrobe videos to my YouTube channel featuring some of my favorite details of each piece. However, since it was done during the first few days of the new year, I still had some late arriving new additions to my wardrobe that didn’t make the video, so this is definitely a more complete documentation of my current wardrobe. Just as in my videos, I will be starting with main pieces, but organized by brand, rather than cut. I may add the last few things I am waiting for in the mail within the next few days. My last 3 packages are scheduled to arrive the first week of February, however I wanted to post this before January was up, and of course, here we are on the very last d

EGL Archive: May 2003

May 1, 2003 Ok, so lets start at the name of this entry first of all. "Kawaii male EGL."  Honestly I had a hard time even deciphering this post, if you haven't noticed, pretty much everyone back from the old school EGL days was an absoluse kawaii UwU weeb nya~!!!11 I hate that I was apart of this, but oh well, here I am documenting our past, the good, the bad, the illegible, and the obnoxious. Anyways, per usual at this point, the link didn't work. I use to be into manga back in the day, though I hadn't heard of this particular manga,  Matantei Loki Ragnarok , before, so I decided to look it up for myself. So after looking through a few images, I can definitely see the historical influences in the character design, especially the male characters, though I wouldn't necessarily call them male EGL or whatever. but, I must remind myself that this was 2003, fashion sources were very limited, and we took what we could get back then. Apparently it's a

4 Coords, 1 Dress

The last meet my comm had before the Covid crisis hit my state full speed was a meet to the local art museum during it’s monthly free day. Unfortunately a few days after that, things began to change for the worse, and meets for the next few months were cancelled. So, as a long time admin of my local community, I suggested that we start having bi-weekly themes: a new, revolving theme to change once every two weeks, to keep up morale and promote community participation to offer a distraction in these trying time.  Our last theme was 1 item, 4 coords. Some members choose to choose items that that had been forgotten at the back of their wardrobes, but I chose one of my go-to pieces, a Moi Meme Moitie piece from 2010, my Cross Gather OP. The first coord I did was something reflecting my regular, go-to styling. Something simple, casual, and comfortable. The main reason I wanted to use this piece for this challenge was because I wanted to force myself out of my comfort zone an