Skip to main content

EGL Archive: January 2003

Another week, another year to look at. Last week we finished up the year 2002, so now we start with January 2003. There is definitely a noticeable amount of activity this month compared to previous months. There are 16 out of 31 days in which posts were made throughout the month, a total of 34 posts for the whole month!

In January, you see a lot of shoe recommendations for Demonia. Funny enough that we still have people regularly buying and suggesting Demonia for gothic and (now) old school coords! I still have several pairs of shoes from Demonia myself that I wear  regularly!

Another thing we see quite a bit of is recommendations to just sew lace and ruffles onto the hems and collars of skirts and blouses...so glad we have better options and have grown out of that stage. I mean, it can be possible to do, but it's a pretty rare situation to find something that's good to go and qualifies as lolita with only a bit of lace. And even then, it takes a trained eye to even be able to discern weather or not it is acceptable or not anyways.


January 28, 2003
Finally, almost to the end of the month, I find something that I can archive, and something that I think is still pretty relevant to today.
"How do you feel when you see someone wearing lolita with non-lolita items?"-loliniii


Unfortunately, the blog linked is no longer working

Then things got a little weird, now deleted comments from user mimisho_pink flipping her shit at minor disagreements, and ended up sending one of the other people in he discussion pm's calling them a "fat-bitch" and just general losing her shit over nothing? Unfortunately I couldn't find any caps of the deleted comments, which it seems that she had deleted herself.



January 30, 2003
Aspiring lolita designer lilrudegirl posts a questionaire asking for some feedback on what they like about the fashion, and why. Were a only a few responses, but I'll transcribe them below:

1) what are your favorite brands of lolita clothing? why?
i love angelic pretty. i really have no idea why, but they have a good website, and its drool-worthy
2) what are your favorite things about lolita fashion? why?
i love the bows and cute-ness and the sorta innocence about it, its mystifiying
3) whats one thing you dont like about lolita fashion and what would you do to change it?
its for thin girls, its not fair!! i wanna be thin!!! and it isnt easy to buy egl stuff here, just those two
4) what's something you dont see in a lot of lolita wear but would love to see?
i love the whole matching the doll thing, i think its very cute
-lilli_chan

1) what are your favorite brands of lolita clothing? why?
Baby Secret Love. It's got just the right amount of detail for the dress to flow.
2) what are your favorite things about lolita fashion? why?
The innocent/playful look to it, tight ring curls, and how some of the fabrics look like old curtain fabric (the floral pattern with a sepia undertone. I love that).
3) whats one thing you dont like about lolita fashion and what would you do to change it?
Umm, yeah, most of the clothes out there are for thin girls. I'll hopefully get down to a 30 inch waist eventually, but until then... it's really bloody hard to find something bigger. And, of course, the prices.
4) what's something you dont see in a lot of lolita wear but would love to see?
wow.... really, right now I don't know what to say... :\ I'll try to think of something.
-sixwing

1) what are your favorite brands of lolita clothing? why? I guess I like what I've seen on baby Stars Shine So Bright. I really like natural fibers, too- which is hard to find.. are you doing these as one-off garments for a student fashion show? If so.. working in silk and cotton (at least for over layers) makes a big difference in how the dress looks, I think.
2) what are your favorite things about lolita fashion? why?
I like the mixing of the innocent with the dark colors/ gothic look. I also love the striped tights, victorian- inspired petticoats and underwear, and mary janes. Pintucking and antique-looking lace, like, tea dyed or something.
3) whats one thing you dont like about lolita fashion and what would you do to change it?
Again, the thin-girl thing. I wear a size 5/6, and I often feel like the clothes would look better on me if I were smaller.. also, that so much attention is paid to the waistline. Booo.
4) what's something you dont see in a lot of lolita wear but would love to see?
I think the natural fibers thing. I have seen a lot of cute clothes that I loved the shape of, but I didn't like the look of the poly fabrication.
...yes. ^-^
-everywednesday

1) what are your favorite brands of lolita clothing? why?
not quite EGL, but I like Betty's Blue, because you can really wear it!! It's not a costume. I also like Metamorphose temps de file and some other brands as well that I wouldn't wear because they are too fussy.
2) what are your favorite things about lolita fashion? why?
I like the quality of the clothes, the details, and the "classic" look.
3) whats one thing you dont like about lolita fashion and what would you do to change it?
It's a bit fussy for me, and some of the new stuff is too "Goth" I sort of like the inbetween, country look. Oh, I like the matching doll thing too, but I desgn dolls for a living so I would.
4) what's something you dont see in a lot of lolita wear but would love to see?
Aprons! Knee length skirts!! More Aprons!!
-iamdollface

1) what are your favorite brands of lolita clothing? why?
- baby, the stars shine bright because of their attention to detail. the quality of the garments to me surpases anything ive seen. its obvious to me they use only the best materials, and painstakingly design everything down to the most minute detail. as well, they seem to have a unique spin on things. i love their alice and wonderland print skirt, and their sort of jack-the-ripper style overcoat that they have.
2) what are your favorite things about lolita fashion? why?
the juxtaposition of something dark and something innocent. not even specifically the gothic lolita genre, but even with "country/classic" lolita, there are sexual overtones. and with the gothic lolita style, the clothes are obviously inspired by victorian era mourning dresses and it contrasts with the cut and style which are more representative of a child (ie short skirt, visable bloomers.). as well, it's a return to a more overtly feminine style of dress. im not sure if the actual wearers of this style of dress are doing it in a "feminist" way, but it's interesting to me that modern women would choose to dress in a way that is considered restrictive and impractical.
3) whats one thing you dont like about lolita fashion and what would you do to change it?
hehe, to be honest, westerners doing pathetic appropriations of it (im sure your clothing will be different). westerners seem to mix unfitting elements into the look, and the clothing is nowhere near as well constructed and designed as the japanese lolita clothing is. personally, i plan to HELP to change it by constructing lolita garments myself and selling them over ebay. i have experience with fabric and seamstressing, so i think i would be doing the western lolita fans justice if i offered up quality lolita clothing.
4) what's something you dont see in a lot of lolita wear but would love to see?
more elaborate hairstyles. two girls in the book "fruits" have really pretty braided hairstyles that went well with their outfits, although most lolita girls that ive seen pictures of seem to have really plain hairstyles, which kind of don't match the excesssiveness of their style of dress. i like when they have ringlets, and id like to see more elaborate hairstyles in the future.
-hagiology

I thought the responses were all so cute, so I wanted to fill out this questionaire myself:

what are your favorite brands of lolita clothing? why?
I am quite fond of Moitie. Overall, their releases tend to fit my prefered aesthetic, and their own aesthetics haven't really changed much over the years, which is why I guess, that I still love them as much today as I did years ago when I discovered the fashion. 
what are your favorite things about lolita fashion? why?
I love the little details such as the the pintucks, ruffles and lace, and just the overall attention to details. Unfortunately it isn't as common anymore, but that's why I still commonly seek out and buy older stuff over newer releases.
whats one thing you dont like about lolita fashion and what would you do to change it?
I dislike the trend of everything being high waisted or made out of chiffon. Don't get me wrong, I have a few high waist and chiffon dresses myself, I just wish it felt like there were more varieties of cuts and fabrics like there use to be.
what's something you dont see in a lot of lolita wear but would love to see?
Wow I feel like the fashion has grown so much, there isn't much that you DON'T see! I think I do miss seeing simple screen prints, or hand-painted prints on dresses. Hand-painted prints on dresses is something I use to see semi-regularly, and I've done so myself quite a few times, but it itsn't nearly as common as it should be. I just think screen prints and hand-painted prints on dresses are so beautiful!


How do you feel? I'd love to see the questionnaire filled out below by everyone else!


January 31, 2003
Unfortunately we can't end January off on a good note...
The next day, lilrudegirl posted thanks for the participation in her little questionnaire, and then we got this random comment, brought up completely out of nowhere. 
It's like when you vague post on facebook and someone completely random and un-involved flips their shit on you about your post and you're just staring at your screen like...what are you talking about and where did you come from?

Well, I think that's it for this week. The comment sections are starting to become a lot more lively, so I'll have to think about how I'm going to go forward in formating my future posts. If you have any ideas or suggestions, let me know in the comments! See you next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Wardrobe Post

Wow! Long time no post! Man I really missed writing plus 2020 was such a nightmare, I am so glad to finally have a spare minute to post on this blog again.  As you know, the January Wardrobe theme has been a tradition spanning the past decade, starting with this post 10 years ago on EGL. By now I have already added my wardrobe videos to my YouTube channel featuring some of my favorite details of each piece. However, since it was done during the first few days of the new year, I still had some late arriving new additions to my wardrobe that didn’t make the video, so this is definitely a more complete documentation of my current wardrobe. Just as in my videos, I will be starting with main pieces, but organized by brand, rather than cut. I may add the last few things I am waiting for in the mail within the next few days. My last 3 packages are scheduled to arrive the first week of February, however I wanted to post this before January was up, and of course, here we are on the very last d

EGL Archive: May 2003

May 1, 2003 Ok, so lets start at the name of this entry first of all. "Kawaii male EGL."  Honestly I had a hard time even deciphering this post, if you haven't noticed, pretty much everyone back from the old school EGL days was an absoluse kawaii UwU weeb nya~!!!11 I hate that I was apart of this, but oh well, here I am documenting our past, the good, the bad, the illegible, and the obnoxious. Anyways, per usual at this point, the link didn't work. I use to be into manga back in the day, though I hadn't heard of this particular manga,  Matantei Loki Ragnarok , before, so I decided to look it up for myself. So after looking through a few images, I can definitely see the historical influences in the character design, especially the male characters, though I wouldn't necessarily call them male EGL or whatever. but, I must remind myself that this was 2003, fashion sources were very limited, and we took what we could get back then. Apparently it's a

4 Coords, 1 Dress

The last meet my comm had before the Covid crisis hit my state full speed was a meet to the local art museum during it’s monthly free day. Unfortunately a few days after that, things began to change for the worse, and meets for the next few months were cancelled. So, as a long time admin of my local community, I suggested that we start having bi-weekly themes: a new, revolving theme to change once every two weeks, to keep up morale and promote community participation to offer a distraction in these trying time.  Our last theme was 1 item, 4 coords. Some members choose to choose items that that had been forgotten at the back of their wardrobes, but I chose one of my go-to pieces, a Moi Meme Moitie piece from 2010, my Cross Gather OP. The first coord I did was something reflecting my regular, go-to styling. Something simple, casual, and comfortable. The main reason I wanted to use this piece for this challenge was because I wanted to force myself out of my comfort zone an