Skip to main content

4 Coords, 1 Dress


The last meet my comm had before the Covid crisis hit my state full speed was a meet to the local art museum during it’s monthly free day. Unfortunately a few days after that, things began to change for the worse, and meets for the next few months were cancelled. So, as a long time admin of my local community, I suggested that we start having bi-weekly themes: a new, revolving theme to change once every two weeks, to keep up morale and promote community participation to offer a distraction in these trying time. 

Our last theme was 1 item, 4 coords. Some members choose to choose items that that had been forgotten at the back of their wardrobes, but I chose one of my go-to pieces, a Moi Meme Moitie piece from 2010, my Cross Gather OP.


The first coord I did was something reflecting my regular, go-to styling. Something simple, casual, and comfortable. The main reason I wanted to use this piece for this challenge was because I wanted to force myself out of my comfort zone and do something different with something I wear frequently.


My second coord I wanted to do a more traditional take on a gothic coord I would normally do for a meetup. But, because this dress is so simple, I have never coordinated this dress like this, nor have I ever worn it to a meet up, since I tend to save my flashier dresses for meetups and save my simpler dresses like this for daily wear. 


For my third look, I wanted to be a little experimental, but still keep it lolita. I normally pair dresses with colors that are already apart of the main piece I am using. So, typically, as you can see in the other 3 coords, for this I would stick to black items and blue as an accent color. Here, I used a bunch of white items, but kept blue as an accent color to still pull everything together. 


For my fourth and final coord, I went a little not-typical-lolita. Since Lolita is my typical daily wear, sometimes I want to coord my items a little differently to suit all occasions. If the world was open, and if we didn’t have to worry about getting sick and could go out for date nights to the theater or a nice restaurant like we use to, This is similar to something I’ve worn out in the past.

And while those are my actual coords I went with, what I wish I could of done was 4 different coords surrounding one of my Sugary Carnival dresses, so here are my hypothetical 4 coords, if I had more than 3 items suitable to wear with my pastel ponies.


So, if you don’t know, 90% of my wardrobe is pure black. Another 8% of that consists of these pastel ponie. Why? I don’t even know. All I know is that after years of fighting it, I’ve given in and accepted my love for this pastel rainbow vomit print, and I now own it in every color but black. But, I don’t have a pastel friendly wardrobe, so my coordination options are few.

That’s why I decided to make this:



I call it “1 Coord, 4 Dresses.”

Because we have a large variety of Lolita levels from “novice” to “I was born wearing burando,” I want to encourage everyone to participate in my comm’s themes, which is why I made both actual coords, and hypothetical dream coords with items I don’t actually own. 

So far our bi-weekly themes have been a success in our community. I’m really interested to know what other communities are doing to engage with and support their members during these times? Also, if you have an idea for a future theme idea, let me know so I can add it to my list!

Comments

  1. Trying out new ways to coordinate the same dress is what I'm here for. I love coming up with different coordinates for the same dress, because even if I still have my go-to ways of wearing it, knowing that there is a possibility of something more is what keeps me excited.
    For a theme, I was always a fan of the 'dress me up' challenge where someone else picks your outfit. That and simply taking the piece you haven't worn in forever and forcing yourself to make a coordinate with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few people in my comm used this prompt to coordinate their least worn item in new ways, but I always feel like I wear each item in one specific way and definitely wanted to break that habit! I've always loved the "dress me up" challenge that use to happen every February on EGL and even participated a few times. I'd definitely like to have my fiance or my daughter pick out my outfit one day and see how they do haha. I feel like they both would do pretty well, making nice outfits, but I'm interested to see what they would come up with!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Wardrobe Post

Wow! Long time no post! Man I really missed writing plus 2020 was such a nightmare, I am so glad to finally have a spare minute to post on this blog again.  As you know, the January Wardrobe theme has been a tradition spanning the past decade, starting with this post 10 years ago on EGL. By now I have already added my wardrobe videos to my YouTube channel featuring some of my favorite details of each piece. However, since it was done during the first few days of the new year, I still had some late arriving new additions to my wardrobe that didn’t make the video, so this is definitely a more complete documentation of my current wardrobe. Just as in my videos, I will be starting with main pieces, but organized by brand, rather than cut. I may add the last few things I am waiting for in the mail within the next few days. My last 3 packages are scheduled to arrive the first week of February, however I wanted to post this before January was up, and of course, here we are on the very last d

EGL Archive: May 2003

May 1, 2003 Ok, so lets start at the name of this entry first of all. "Kawaii male EGL."  Honestly I had a hard time even deciphering this post, if you haven't noticed, pretty much everyone back from the old school EGL days was an absoluse kawaii UwU weeb nya~!!!11 I hate that I was apart of this, but oh well, here I am documenting our past, the good, the bad, the illegible, and the obnoxious. Anyways, per usual at this point, the link didn't work. I use to be into manga back in the day, though I hadn't heard of this particular manga,  Matantei Loki Ragnarok , before, so I decided to look it up for myself. So after looking through a few images, I can definitely see the historical influences in the character design, especially the male characters, though I wouldn't necessarily call them male EGL or whatever. but, I must remind myself that this was 2003, fashion sources were very limited, and we took what we could get back then. Apparently it's a