Skip to main content

EGL Archive: May 2003

May 1, 2003


Ok, so lets start at the name of this entry first of all. "Kawaii male EGL."  Honestly I had a hard time even deciphering this post, if you haven't noticed, pretty much everyone back from the old school EGL days was an absoluse kawaii UwU weeb nya~!!!11 I hate that I was apart of this, but oh well, here I am documenting our past, the good, the bad, the illegible, and the obnoxious. Anyways, per usual at this point, the link didn't work. I use to be into manga back in the day, though I hadn't heard of this particular manga, Matantei Loki Ragnarok, before, so I decided to look it up for myself.

So after looking through a few images, I can definitely see the historical influences in the character design, especially the male characters, though I wouldn't necessarily call them male EGL or whatever. but, I must remind myself that this was 2003, fashion sources were very limited, and we took what we could get back then. Apparently it's about the God Loki being banished to the mortal world, and opening a detective agency? The art is cute for sure, and I ran with some serious weebs in high school and middle school so I'm surprised I've never come across it. Have any of you seen this manga before? If so, how did you like it?

May 6, 2003
A few days later another user posted asking for manga with EGL and lolita fashion featured. The following mangas were recomended:
Alichino, Paradise Kiss, Chobits, Count Cain, Angel Sanctuary, Card Captor Sakura, Othello, Kamikaze Kaito Jean and God Child.
Maybe One day I'll do a full list of my Lolitaesque manga recommendations, but for now I want to give Othello a shout out since it was mentioned in this particular post. The main character Yaya is a VK band cosplayer, dressing up in Gothic Lolita outfits with her friends on the weekends on the famous Harajuku Bridge. While lolita fashion is a side plot of the story, it is still nice to see, and the story itself is great. I highly recommend reading it if you can!

May 31, 2003
And with the end of the month comes one of the biggest and most important posts as of yet...


The very first brand to offer shipping outside of Japan, without the use of a shitty overpriced shopping service, directly from them to you, Metamorphose temps de fille has discovered the internet.

Comments

  1. I gasped at the end because I remember that PERFECTLY, it was just a HUGE thing that Meta started to sell overseas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!! I remember being young and fawning over all the beautiful releases and reading each pieces (english!) description. I also remember being so excited when Angelic Pretty FINALLY launched their international shopping site! It sucked that we didn't get every release that the jp site got, but I was happy to have a relatively simple way to buy from them. I was so disappointed when they shut that shop down though and now forces us to use Tenso rather than shipping directly. It really put me off of buying from AP honestly, though I am still eternally grateful to Meta for setting the standard, and honestly they are still one of the best in shopping and customer service today!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Wardrobe Post

Wow! Long time no post! Man I really missed writing plus 2020 was such a nightmare, I am so glad to finally have a spare minute to post on this blog again.  As you know, the January Wardrobe theme has been a tradition spanning the past decade, starting with this post 10 years ago on EGL. By now I have already added my wardrobe videos to my YouTube channel featuring some of my favorite details of each piece. However, since it was done during the first few days of the new year, I still had some late arriving new additions to my wardrobe that didn’t make the video, so this is definitely a more complete documentation of my current wardrobe. Just as in my videos, I will be starting with main pieces, but organized by brand, rather than cut. I may add the last few things I am waiting for in the mail within the next few days. My last 3 packages are scheduled to arrive the first week of February, however I wanted to post this before January was up, and of course, here we are on the very last d

4 Coords, 1 Dress

The last meet my comm had before the Covid crisis hit my state full speed was a meet to the local art museum during it’s monthly free day. Unfortunately a few days after that, things began to change for the worse, and meets for the next few months were cancelled. So, as a long time admin of my local community, I suggested that we start having bi-weekly themes: a new, revolving theme to change once every two weeks, to keep up morale and promote community participation to offer a distraction in these trying time.  Our last theme was 1 item, 4 coords. Some members choose to choose items that that had been forgotten at the back of their wardrobes, but I chose one of my go-to pieces, a Moi Meme Moitie piece from 2010, my Cross Gather OP. The first coord I did was something reflecting my regular, go-to styling. Something simple, casual, and comfortable. The main reason I wanted to use this piece for this challenge was because I wanted to force myself out of my comfort zone an