Skip to main content

Lolita 2004 vs 2020: Not so different anymore ?

Originally I had hoped to be a lot more active here. I enjoyed writing and recording what I could find about the years past. Even if it’s just for myself to look back on and no other audience.
Unfortunately due to stress, anxiety and enevitably depression, it became too much for me. When I was finally able to  pull myself out, I was so busy with social and family obligations, making the rounds after becoming engaged(oh yes! That also happened while I was away!), I had even less time for myself even now that I was feeling better.

Well, as I’m sure you have noticed, most of the world has stopped in the wake of the covid 19 pandemic. Now we all seem to have even more time than we even know what to do with. I’m currently working only part time, waiting for the day it becomes so bad due to the total incompetence of our world leaders that I myself am either sick, or our entire city is forced to shut down.

All of our local meets in the comm I moderate have been cancelled for the foreseeable future. Similarly, communities around the world have been affected and have recoiled back either by choice, or government mandate. I’ve seen locals post to complain about not being able to wear Lolita out, or going to meets, or even worried of having packages and orders delayed.

I have to admit that I don’t really have the same issues or concerns. Honestly if anything, I know this all too well and am surprising comfortable about it. I remember before there was an actual comm. in fact, my local Facebook community will be celebrating its 10 year anniversary the fall. I remember when the ONLY interactions with other lolita were online, and for the longest time, they weren’t even in my same state, let alone city. The good ole LiveJournal days. Hell, most of us couldn’t get ahold of brand anyways, so this whole business of orders and shipments being delayed is nothing! At least we have actual Lolita orders and packages TO get delayed. Back in the day unless you lived in Japan or had a random relative or friend of a friend who lived in Japan, your only other choice was to handmade it yourselves or pay another sewing novice to make something that resembled Lolita for you. And honestly looking back, the western comm didn’t have a very good grasp of what Lolita was anyways. I hate to say it but in general, 2002-2006 was the western comm’s ita phase.

In these times, despite being isolated at home with a computer, we do have a few things going for us. Pretty much every person has access to the internet, even if it’s just through their phones. Smart phones are easily and cheaply accessed by the masses. Almost everyone has both a camera and internet available in the palm of their hands. So while we may be physically separated by distance, we are more connected than ever. Comms are having virtual tea parties with their friends, streaming movies and music together, and let us not forget remote twinning.

What is remote twinning? Well, actually it’s not a new thing, it’s just happening a lot more frequently  now that everyone is physically forced apart. Basically it’s twinning, but planned over text, chat or private message, then both parties get dressed of their individual coords, and posted online together in a collage. I myself have done remote twinning since the outbreak forced everyone into quarantine. I’ve done it with others outside of my state, as well as others in other countries. Currently I am planning twin coords with local comm friends in the next town over as well as one of my best friends who lives down the street from me. But, since we can’t really leave the house right now, we’re planning our coords through text.

Anyways, I suppose that’s what has finally lead me back home to this blog. Terrible circumstances that has brought out the best in this community. Despite the reputation for cattiness, I always find an outpouring of love and comradery. Just yesterday I was able to put together the cutest coord with my 2004 “Alice and Bambi” print skirt from Baby, the Stars Shine Bright. It was a twin coord, both of us collaborating to make the best outfits possible with what we each had. Fortunately, when you wear old school, everyone pretty much has the same basics, so despite having different items, everything looked similar enough that really, it turned out perfect.



I’m not really comfortable posting other’s recent photos, but feel free to check my twin’s coords as well as the other twin coords I’ve participated in on my Instagram. I’m working on more, though I’m not sure I’ll be posting them all on here. I just made a fun edit and wanted somewhere to post it to quietly enjoy.


To get on to more photos of this absolutely exquisite print, I use to also own it in Ivory as the OP version.



In addition to ivory and black, this print also comes in pink and red, and comes in the forms of a JSK, OP, Skirt and even a yukata.



While I currently own the black skirt, the one I really want is the black OP. Maybe one day I'll be lucky, but either way I'm currently content with the skirt for now, especially since I was able to make such a cute coord with it this week. 

Hope quarantine is treating you all well. Until next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Wardrobe Post

Wow! Long time no post! Man I really missed writing plus 2020 was such a nightmare, I am so glad to finally have a spare minute to post on this blog again.  As you know, the January Wardrobe theme has been a tradition spanning the past decade, starting with this post 10 years ago on EGL. By now I have already added my wardrobe videos to my YouTube channel featuring some of my favorite details of each piece. However, since it was done during the first few days of the new year, I still had some late arriving new additions to my wardrobe that didn’t make the video, so this is definitely a more complete documentation of my current wardrobe. Just as in my videos, I will be starting with main pieces, but organized by brand, rather than cut. I may add the last few things I am waiting for in the mail within the next few days. My last 3 packages are scheduled to arrive the first week of February, however I wanted to post this before January was up, and of course, here we are on the very last d

EGL Archive: May 2003

May 1, 2003 Ok, so lets start at the name of this entry first of all. "Kawaii male EGL."  Honestly I had a hard time even deciphering this post, if you haven't noticed, pretty much everyone back from the old school EGL days was an absoluse kawaii UwU weeb nya~!!!11 I hate that I was apart of this, but oh well, here I am documenting our past, the good, the bad, the illegible, and the obnoxious. Anyways, per usual at this point, the link didn't work. I use to be into manga back in the day, though I hadn't heard of this particular manga,  Matantei Loki Ragnarok , before, so I decided to look it up for myself. So after looking through a few images, I can definitely see the historical influences in the character design, especially the male characters, though I wouldn't necessarily call them male EGL or whatever. but, I must remind myself that this was 2003, fashion sources were very limited, and we took what we could get back then. Apparently it's a

4 Coords, 1 Dress

The last meet my comm had before the Covid crisis hit my state full speed was a meet to the local art museum during it’s monthly free day. Unfortunately a few days after that, things began to change for the worse, and meets for the next few months were cancelled. So, as a long time admin of my local community, I suggested that we start having bi-weekly themes: a new, revolving theme to change once every two weeks, to keep up morale and promote community participation to offer a distraction in these trying time.  Our last theme was 1 item, 4 coords. Some members choose to choose items that that had been forgotten at the back of their wardrobes, but I chose one of my go-to pieces, a Moi Meme Moitie piece from 2010, my Cross Gather OP. The first coord I did was something reflecting my regular, go-to styling. Something simple, casual, and comfortable. The main reason I wanted to use this piece for this challenge was because I wanted to force myself out of my comfort zone an