Skip to main content

15 Years of Lolita Fashion

Greetings and Salutations.

I am a lifestyle and daily Lolita. I dabble a little bit in all the styles and colors Lolita comes in, probably because I’ve seen so many trends come and go in the fashion.
Aside from trends, I’ve watched blogs, websites, brands and even people come and go over the years. The latest victim of time that I have noticed is photos. Lolita history. Gone. Wiped out. Photobucket, tinypic, free photo hosting sites that we use to rely on in the early years of the internet are wiping out years of old photos. EGL on Livejournal use to be the go-to place for sharing photos and excitement with other fans of Lolita around the world. And don’t come at me for the use of the word fan. Back then, most people had to rely on diy, handmade, thrifted and modified clothing unless you were fortunate enough to know someone in Japan, or were able to go to Japan yourself for all your shopping needs. There were no shopping services. Hardly any good western indie brands. You can’t imagine how different it was back then compared to now. But at the time I was completely enamored and smitten by the world of Lolita.

But with our rich history being carelessly deleted, I thought it might be fun to go back to this day, 15 years ago and revisit what it was like so many years ago when I first joined. Maybe I’ll be lucky and I can snag a few photos before they are all gone.

What EGL looked like for the past few years compared to now. This is the final layout of EGL as of September 2019.



EGL: September 16, 2019

The first post I find is from an EGL/EGA themed tea party that took place in Brooklyn, New York. Unfortunately many photos are gone and the few that remain are branded by that ghastly Photobucket watermark. But, at lease you can still see the image. A tiny peak into American Lolita Fashion circles 15 years ago.




Unfortunately due to the many missing photos, I had to skip many of the posts of the day. I did, however, find one person requesting scans of GLB recipes so that they may translate them for the community. This photo is supposedly from vol 3, and is referred to as Vampire Kiss. The general consensus is that it looks to be made of jello with whole blueberries and topped with whip cream.


One individual offered the recipe of a cocktail called Vampire's Kiss which imitates the look of blood: Cranberry Juice, Vodka, Grenadine and Chamborde/Raspberry Liquor. 
I actually have a large collection of GLBs, so maybe one day I'll make some time to go back and try out these early recipes myself!


One thing I did notice in surprising amounts is the use of the abbreviation "loli" (or rori, to imitate the pronunciation of the Japanese) instead of lolita. I imagine it was so popular due to the use of ゴスロリ (gosurori) in media and magazines to describe the style. While we did have our occasional creeps back in the day, you weren't constantly bombarded by pictures of girls with pacifies and diapers like we are today. The attack of ageplayers had not yet commenced, hence while now if I heard someone use the word "loli" I would probably cringe so hard a little part of my soul would die, back then it was pretty normal. Christ, I can even remember little teenage me often using the term. But by 2010 or so, the threat of sissys, ageplayers and loli-con pedos were becoming so rampant, most people dropped the term to distance themselves from "that kind of lolita."

All in all, it was a lot of fun going back through the posts from exactly 15 years ago. I really miss having a world-wide community in one page. Where posts were arranged by date, not by popularity or activity such as whatever weird algorithms Facebook and Instagram has adopted. I'd like to go back through the older posts again soon, before all the old photos are gone forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Wardrobe Post

Wow! Long time no post! Man I really missed writing plus 2020 was such a nightmare, I am so glad to finally have a spare minute to post on this blog again.  As you know, the January Wardrobe theme has been a tradition spanning the past decade, starting with this post 10 years ago on EGL. By now I have already added my wardrobe videos to my YouTube channel featuring some of my favorite details of each piece. However, since it was done during the first few days of the new year, I still had some late arriving new additions to my wardrobe that didn’t make the video, so this is definitely a more complete documentation of my current wardrobe. Just as in my videos, I will be starting with main pieces, but organized by brand, rather than cut. I may add the last few things I am waiting for in the mail within the next few days. My last 3 packages are scheduled to arrive the first week of February, however I wanted to post this before January was up, and of course, here we are on the very last d

EGL Archive: May 2003

May 1, 2003 Ok, so lets start at the name of this entry first of all. "Kawaii male EGL."  Honestly I had a hard time even deciphering this post, if you haven't noticed, pretty much everyone back from the old school EGL days was an absoluse kawaii UwU weeb nya~!!!11 I hate that I was apart of this, but oh well, here I am documenting our past, the good, the bad, the illegible, and the obnoxious. Anyways, per usual at this point, the link didn't work. I use to be into manga back in the day, though I hadn't heard of this particular manga,  Matantei Loki Ragnarok , before, so I decided to look it up for myself. So after looking through a few images, I can definitely see the historical influences in the character design, especially the male characters, though I wouldn't necessarily call them male EGL or whatever. but, I must remind myself that this was 2003, fashion sources were very limited, and we took what we could get back then. Apparently it's a

4 Coords, 1 Dress

The last meet my comm had before the Covid crisis hit my state full speed was a meet to the local art museum during it’s monthly free day. Unfortunately a few days after that, things began to change for the worse, and meets for the next few months were cancelled. So, as a long time admin of my local community, I suggested that we start having bi-weekly themes: a new, revolving theme to change once every two weeks, to keep up morale and promote community participation to offer a distraction in these trying time.  Our last theme was 1 item, 4 coords. Some members choose to choose items that that had been forgotten at the back of their wardrobes, but I chose one of my go-to pieces, a Moi Meme Moitie piece from 2010, my Cross Gather OP. The first coord I did was something reflecting my regular, go-to styling. Something simple, casual, and comfortable. The main reason I wanted to use this piece for this challenge was because I wanted to force myself out of my comfort zone an